We, Giggle and Grow Pre-School are a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We collect personal information from you and may receive information about you and your child from your previous childcare provider.
This document demonstrates our commitment to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. It contains information regarding how we collect and use personal data or personal information about you in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and all other data protection legislation currently in force.
Pursuant to that legislation, when processing data we will;
- process it fairly, lawfully and in a clear, transparent way
- collect your data only for reasons that we find proper for the course of your employment in ways that have been explained to you
- only use it in the way that we have told you about
- ensure it is correct and up to date
- keep your data for only as long as we need it
- process it in a way that ensures it will not be lost or destroyed or used for anything that you are not aware of or have consented to (as appropriate)
Giggle and Grow Preschool is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for determining the purpose and means of processing personal data relating to you.
“Personal data”, or “personal information”, means any information relating to an identified, or identifiable individual in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
There are “special categories” of sensitive personal data, meaning data relating to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health conditions, sex life or sexual orientation, genetic data, and biometric data which require a higher level of protection.
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service.
We hold this personal data to:
- Support your child’s teaching and learning
- Monitor and report on your child’s progress
- Provide appropriate pastoral care
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
- Assess how well we are doing
- Claim West Sussex Free entitlement
- Monitor attendance
- Support children’s health and medical needs
- Monitor accidents and incidents
- Work alongside outside agencies
(Health visitor’s, West Sussex Early Years Advisor, other early year’s provider, family support workers, social workers and family centre)
- Cohort track children’s progress
Information that we hold about you and your child includes:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses
- Date of birth
- Birth certificate or passport number
- Yours and your child’s photograph
- Marital status
- Dependents, next of kin and their details
- National Insurance number
- Information used for equal opportunities monitoring about your sexual orientation, religion or belief and ethnic origin
- Medical or health information including whether or not you have a disability
- CCTV footage and other information obtained through electronic means such as building entry card records or ipod videos.
- Emergency contact details of the parents and carers or family member
- Records of achievement – (Learning journal, next steps and progress reviews)
- Attendance information
- Parents National insurance number and email address
- Personal characteristics (such as your ethnic group and gender)
- Any special educational needs
- Relevant medical and Health information –
(Health care plans, medicines given during session time)
- Photos and videos of your child
- Accident and incident log within the setting
- Nappy change log during session time
- Safeguarding concerns
What might happen if you do not give us this data?
If you do not provide this information it may lead to non-receipt of West Sussex Free entitlement, a delay in identifying any delay in your child’s learning and development as well as the setting not be able to support any Special education or Health needs your child may have.
How long is this information kept for?
Personal data processed by Giggle and Grow preschool for any purpose shall not be kept for longer than is necessary, personal information will be kept and stored at Giggle and Grow Preschool for three years. However, information regarding an accident/incident and safeguarding will be kept until the child turns 21 years of age.
Processing this information about you and your child
We will only administer personal information in accordance with the lawful bases for processing. At least one of the following will apply when we process personal data:
- Consent: You have given clear consent for us to process your personal data for a specific purpose.
- Contract: The processing is necessary for a contract we have with you, or because we have asked you to take specific steps before entering into a contract.
- Legal obligation: The processing is necessary for us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations).
- Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life.
- Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law.
- Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party unless there is a good reason to protect your personal data which overrides those legitimate interests.
We will not give information about you to anyone without your consent unless the law and our policies allow us to. We are required by law to pass some information to our Local Authority and the Department for Education.
Copy of your information
If you would like to receive a copy of the information about you that we hold or share, please contact:
- Louise Howard at our Bewbush setting – Louise@giggleandgrowpreschool.co.uk
- Kimberley Yeoman at our Gossops Green setting – Kimberley@giggleandgrowpreschool.co.uk
- Amy Badman our Tilgate setting- Amy@giggleandgrowpreschool.co.uk
How we store your information
To ensure the security of personal information at Giggle and Grow pre-school we store any information gathered in locked filing cabinets on our premises overnight. Any information stored on our Evidence for Learning App on our staff ipod’s or setting computers are password protected. Only setting managers have access to our setting Facebook page and any photos shared on this site are shared onto our closed group. When sending emails or writing safeguarding concerns we use child’s initials or personal number rather than a child’s name. Any information held which is no longer required will be shredded and disposed of.
If you have a concern about the way Giggle and Grow preschool is handling your personal information – perhaps they hold information about you that is incorrect, they have held it for too long, or they are not keeping it secure – we may be able to help you do something about it you can report these concerns here – https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/